27° 10' South
153° 38' East

Wind 180 17 knots, weather overcast and showery, swell 2 metres from the south, temperature 18 deg.

Hello Shipmates,

Welcome to Day 2 of the voyage. Following a well deserved and much needed night’s rest the Youth Crew were woken to a windy and drizzly sunrise at 0630 by Sail Master Guv, who treated us to an ‘ice-breaker’ deck game to wake us up. After breakfast the Youthies experienced their first ceremony of ‘colours’ followed by the morning brief at which they met ‘Salty the sea-dog’ (Dougie), whose job it is to explain the nautical origin of some expressions in common use in the English language. On completion of the brief it was straight into cleaning stations (this activity is known as our ‘Happy Hour’ and even has its own little song).

The crew then progressed deck safety training to ensure when we set the sails our new crew members would have the necessary training to ensure they could carry out the basics of setting and furling Young Endeavour’s sails safely. The Ship was also visited by ‘Captain Safety’ (Dave’s alter-ego!) who gave a more detailed presentation on the items of safety equipment onboard. The Staff Crew weighed anchor at 1000 and we commenced our passage across Moreton Bay. Once clear of the restricted areas we conducted a Man Overboard exercise, during which the Swimmer of the Watch (Dougie) was dispatched to recover the training lifebuoy ring which was representing someone lost over the side. The Crew broke for lunch at 1130, while the Ship continued on its way out of Moreton Bay. 

We rounded the northern tip of Moreton Island at 1330 and we commenced our southerly passage towards Sydney. On exiting the shelter of Moreton Bay, the Youth crew got their first taste of the Ship’s motion under the influence of the weather. The wind was south-easterly at 15 knots with a long 2.0 metre swell.

Next Sail Master Guv gave a briefing on the procedures for setting the Mainsail, after which  we set it. Next the Jib was set and the Ship sent to Tacking Stations in order that the Youth Crew could experience Tacking the Ship and what their individual duties entailed. This is also conducted to satisfy me that the crew are capable of altering the course of the Ship during the night, if necessary. In the 15-20 knot SE conditions with all the fore-and-aft sails set we achieved 8 knots of boat speed. Unfortunately that was on the optimal course for sailing not the course we needed to make good to get to Sydney. I then had all sail, with the exception of the Main Staysail, handed-in to enable us to motor-sail on a southerly course overnight.

We completed the practical training at 1730 and, after another of Luke’s delicious meals, the crew prepared for their first night at sea. This will involve keeping 4 hour Sea Watches through the night, during which they will keep the Ship safe performing duties as helmsman, lookouts, and conducting below deck engineering rounds. No doubt the crew will sleep well after a busy day! The intention is to spend at least the next 48 hours underway to make the necessary ground towards Sydney before considering an overnight stop in a sheltered anchorage.

Until tomorrow,

Yours Aye

Captain Mike