35° 7' South
150° 44' East

Wind: Southerly 16 kn, showers, swell (2.5 metres northerly offshore) nil in the anchorage, Temp: 18 deg C

Ahoy there Shipmates,

Overnight the Ship continued to make ground to the north towards Jervis Bay. As this was almost directly to windward we spent the night conducting a series of tacks zig-zagging along our track. The tacks were conducted at the end of each watch using the combined manpower resources of the oncoming and the offgoing watches, thereby minimising the disturbances to sleep of those off watch. When we were on the starboard tack the swell was less-pronounced and the ride almost comfortable, but the port tack was the opposite and everyone suffered fitful sleep. Those on watch also experienced heavy passing showers so the Ship’s wet-weather gear got a work-out.

Sunrise was spectacularly picturesque with glorious hues of pink and orange splashed across the clouds near the horizon. After today’s Wakey Wakey (attached below) the Ship was called to Tacking Stations to undertake what we thought was going to be our final tack for the run in between Bowen Is and Pt Perpendicular into Jervis Bay. However nature had other ideas! The winds shift associated with an approaching cold front resulted in us changing direction by almost 180 deg, as we were steering by the wind. This resulted in another tack before we settled on a course to enter the bay.

After breakfast we had morning brief which included a visit from Salty (Tim) and Bully-beef (Dougie) who explained the origins of the nautical expressions ‘a Cock-up’ and ‘to freeze the balls off a brass-monkey’ as well as teaching lesson 2 of pirate attitude (I like the cut of your jib!). Nana Diesel (Horto) also attended to present some crew members’ clothing that had been left lying around and to teach us another song.

Once we had entered Jervis Bay we commenced Rotational Tacks where each of the watches experienced what the other two watches do at Tacking Stations. As we conducted the last of these the heavy showers associated with the front hit us, so once again it was on with the wet-weather gear. On completion we proceeded to anchor in the shelter of Darling Roads. Lunch followed shortly thereafter and as tacking is hard physical work, Chef Luke and his apprentice master-chefs had cooked up a storm to fill those empty stomachs. Youth Crew were then given some free time to re-charge their batteries after a night’s sleep of questionable quality.

We launched into Happy Hour at 1430, which was followed by my presentation on Sail Theory. The aim of this brief was to equip the crew with some basic knowledge on the requirements of the Young Endeavour sail plan as well as the wind limitations of the different sails, which will be necessary knowledge for the Youth Crew on Command Day.

On completion of dinner it is intended to close-up into sea watches to enable the Youth Crew to undertake some leadership activities in their watches.

It is intended to remain at anchor overnight, departing the anchorage tomorrow after lunch and continue north to Port Hacking on the adventure that is Young Endeavour.

Until tomorrow.

Yours Aye

Captain Mike



THU 28 FEB 13

We met up at the dock

It was about three o’clock

We looked around in a shock

Because there was no boat

We walked for miles

There were lots of smiles

We were getting tired

It was time to get our salt on

We came on Sunday

And now it’s Thursday

It’s seven o’clock

So wakey wakey

We know you’re tired

But let’s get crazy

We’re on a boat

So wake up lazy!

Your hair was blowing

Wet clothes

No skin showing

Long nights

Where’re we going?

It’s morning time

So let’s get going!