Voyage name: 
14 - 24 March
33 31.9 S
151 14.9 E
Passing showers, light and variable winds, nil swell. Temp 19 deg C
First Climbs conducted at anchor in Athol Bay in the morning. We departed Sydney Harbour after lunch, passaged north and anchored in Broken Bay just before dinner.
G'day shipmates,
Welcome to Day 2 of the Voyage. Following a well-deserved and much-needed night's rest the Youth Crew woke at 0640 to Sail Master Evan's favourite tunes. After walking a few laps of the deck everyone gathered at midships for a quick "ice-breaker" game before heading off for showers and a hearty breakfast, courtesy of Chef Marcos.
Evan gave the Climbing Safety Brief starting at 0745. Once the Youthies had checked and fitted their individual harnesses and been checked by Staff, they all climbed to the top gallant yard by watches. While each watch was aloft the other two watches practised sail setting and furling deck safety.
Once First Climbs were over we had our first morning brief of the voyage, at which Evan outlined the plan for the remainder of the day.
After lunch the Staffies weighed anchor and we departed the harbour and commenced our passage to Broken Bay. The crew got their first chance to set some staysails while we motor-sailed to windward. The watches took turns setting and furling those sails during our 3 hour passage up the coast, although some youth crew were battling to find their sea legs. Despite this many pushed through the awful feelings of the "mal-de-mer" in stirling demonstrations of determination and "true grit"!
We entered Broken Bay at 1730 and anchored off Tank Creek, near Brooklyn at 1800. Although a little showery and grey when we anchored the picturesque Tank Ck waterfall made for a spectacular backdrop.
Staffy James B delivered the Navigation and anchor watch briefs, after which the Youthies were shown the engineering rounds routines and then launched into anchor watches through the night. This is necessary to ensure the ship remains safe whilst at anchor. Each crew member, along with three others, keeps a two hour watch monitoring the engineering and navigational safety of the ship.
No doubt the crew will sleep well after a busy day!
Until tomorrow.
Yours Aye, Captain Mike