On board Crew in the sunset Shot of the bow

captain's log

Man overboard! Dolphins off the port bow! Whatever...

The Captain's Log is a daily account of all the action and adventures of sailing a tall ship. It's all here, warts an' all, so if you want to learn more about what you're about to let yourself in for, or what you're about to subject them to, read on.

Most Recent

21 April, 2014 - DAY 10 - COMMUNITY DAY SAIL

Voyage: V05/14: Brisbane to Gladstone
12 April - 22 April
Latitude: 23°50's
Longitude: 151°19'e

At anchor in Gladstone Harbour - Weather: fine, Wind: 090 / 13 kts, Swell: nil, Temp: 24 deg. C

Ahoy there Shipmates,

This morning Adam awoke the Youth Crew at 0630 and roused them up and onto the deck for an entertaining early morning activity. With the blood flowing and everyone ready and raring for another full day of fun the Youth Crew then went below for some breakfast and to have a quick shower. The staffies made all preparations to weigh anchor at 0805 so that we could start making way to Gladstone Marina.

It was decided to have an early morning brief before colours. Salty explained, with the use of actors, including Jamie who played the cannon, the orgin of the naval expression 2 – 6 heave! The youthies then went below once more to clean the ship in preparation for our guests. Just before 0900 we berthed alongside the service wharf at Gladstone Marina and welcomed our guests from the Gladstone Police Citizens Youth Club and the Roseberry Community Services.

We departed the wharf at 1015 and proceeded out into the harbour to attempt to do some sailing in the very light conditions. We first set the fore staysail, then the topgallant staysail, the Jib and finally the Topsail and Topgallant. We managed to achieve almost 4 kts of boat speed before needing to clear the main channel for a bulk carrier that entered the harbour. All too soon the day was at an end and we brought the Ship back alongside and disembarked our guests.

The Youth Crew then went ashore to have an end of voyage chat in their watches. It was a good chance to reflect upon everything that has happened Once they were back onboard the youthies then proceeded aloft to put a final harbour furl in the square sails in preparation for the end of the voyage.

We departed the Marina at 1630 for one last anchorage and to get some space out in the harbour for our last night at sea. Tonight’s activities included an amazing Pizza dinner followed by a slide show of the trip and some post voyage admin.

Yours, aye